Sunday, May 20, 2012

Diary of the Dead (2007)

I think I see new things in this movie every time I watch it. I'm glad I gave it a chance even after the reviews were so polarized when it first came out. For me, this movie sums up my generation and what our zombie outbreak would be like in the same way that the original Romero zombie opus "Night of the Living Dead" did for its generation. seeing the youtube-esque videos and the handheld footage detailing the way regular people saw the zombie epidemic as it began...it gets to me. I can imagine being off in the woods shooting a low-budget horror movie with some college friends when all hell starts to break loose in the world around me, trying to capture every moment on film as it happens...hell, I already try to take pictures to chronicle every important event in my life so I will leave something for people to remember me by. this movie resonates with me. that question at the end, "are we worth saving?" hits me too, and I still don't know the answer. sometimes I say an emphatic yes, sometimes I lean more toward no, but it always gives me something to think about. All the gore and cool zombie effects are fun to watch (exploding zombie eyeballs FTW) but I love this movie because it gives me something deeper to think about, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment