Monday, March 15, 2010

P.S. Your Cat is Dead! (March 15, 2010)



This movie is based on a book that I read YEARS ago (like, I was 13 I think) and thus I don't remember the book enough to be as pissed off about the movie as lots of other people seem to be. I do remember that it was different from the movie, but the movie was a lot of fun, so I'm glad I have a foggy enough memory of the book to be able to enjoy the movie I saw instead of wishing it were something else.

This movie follows a down-on-his-luck actor through the events of the worst night of his life. He lives in an apartment everyone describes as a dump (though I thought it looked pretty nice myself) his can is in the hospital (as you can imagine from the title, it dies) his girlfriend left him and he's going to be alone on New Year's eve. A burglar has stolen from him several times over the past month or so, and when the movie opens, the same burglar breaks in, attempting to rob him again (bad timing, man). He winds up trapped in the apartment, and when our hero discovers the burglar, he goes berserk and decides to get revenge.

This movie has a sense of humor that I appreciate. It's a black comedy that's funny and mean-spirited in spades. I remember the book was moreso, but the movie keeps me entertained. The performances are a little rocky at times (some of the dialogue is a little weird, and I think ti probably worked better in the play...that's right, this was a play, too) but other than that, I had a lot of fun with this movie. It makes me want to read the book again just to remember what I'm missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment