Sunday, January 10, 2010

January 8, 2010: Fame (1980)

When the new redux of the movie "Fame" was announced, I decided to revisit the original, only I just got around to watching it. It's choppier than I remember (I was probably so caught up in the story and the singing and dancing when I was a kid that I didn't notice any of the flaws) but I still love it. I hear that the remake wasn't anything special, so we'll see when the DVD comes out, I guess.

One thing that the original does very well is have characters deliver monologues that are integrated into the story so well that you almost don't notice that you're listening to a monologue until the scene is over. Typically, I'd be thinking "Jesus, shut up already" but these were well done and they let me get to know the characters better. One in particular has this blonde girl sitting in some kind of doctor's office talking about her future, and you don't realize what's going on in the scene until the end. That impressed me (I won't give it away though, because it's one of the best moments in the movie). I'm glad I finally watched this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment