Friday, October 14, 2016

2016 October Horror Challenge #41: "Sacrifice"


Netflix keeps bugging me to watch this movie, so I finally gave in today hoping that it would be worth watching. I've done pretty well with IFC Midnight films so far, so I was hopeful.  I knew almost nothing about this movie coming in, so pretty much everything was a surprise for me, which is how I like it.  I hate spoilers.

The movie is about an obstetrician who moves to the Shetland islands off the coast of Scotland with her husband. She finds the dead body of a woman on the grounds of her property with mysterious carvings in her flesh.  No one seems to want to investigate the death, and soon she finds ties to local legends which may prove deadly.

I really like Rhada Mitchell, so I'm always happy to see her in movies like this. She always does a good job with the material and never acts like scary movies are somehow below her talents. Everyone in this movie does a good job, actually, so the scares stay classy and never get schlocky. I'm a sucker for buried small town secrets and ancient legends, so movies like this are right up my alley. I really enjoyed this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment