Thursday, January 14, 2021

2021 So What have we Learned so Far

 One thing that has been made abundantly clear for me throughout my life as a lover of horror is that people don't get it. They don't understand why I'm drawn to the horrible and the grotesque and the evil that walks among us unknown, until it shows itself, and then when it shows itself in movies, those movies are condemned.

Seriously, it's caused many an argument. One time I was talking about the movie "I Spit on Your Grave," which has an infamous almost half hour rape scene in it, and someone asked me why I still said the movie is worth seeing. And I said  "well, rape is horrific, and if it's going to be portrayed in a movie, i want them to show it is horrific, and not some sanitized Hollywood bullshit." He told me this made no sense. I don't blame him, because a lot of people would agree with him.

So I promised to make this big blog post about the book "The Shore" by Robert Dunbar, and I promise I totally meant to follow through with that, but I got to this part early in the book where a woman is treated let's say "badly," and even though I guessed back then what might be happening,  and I can confirm now is actually what might be going on, it hit me in the gut. 

It hurts to have a male character telling a female character who is tied up that she,"makes him" do this, because it rings too true to real things that have really happened to me. 

But isn't that the whole point? These books, "The Pines," "The Shore,"and "The Streets" are important because they show an aspect of life that isn't shown often in our world, and it hurts because our lives have necessitated that we tell lies about ourselves for so long that we've forgotten who we are and where we came from. Maybe these books are a step forward in telling the truth about our lives, no matter how painful it may be. I pray this is the truth, and I promise to put on my big girl panties and try to face the truth. Because it is important 

In Jesus's name,  amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment