Thursday, October 31, 2013

Horror challenge #93: "Blackenstein"

I heard about this movie when I was younger and I used to read any book I could find on horror movies.  This movie is included in a book talking about Frankenstein movies, but it's never given a lot of respect, and I don't really think that's fair.  The same thing happens with the movie "Blacula," which is a good vampire story, and this story is as good as a movie about a man cobbled together with spare parts from other bodies who goes on a killing spree is ever going to be, really.  It's a little cheesy, but that's to be expected with the low budget, and I've seen much worse.

The story here is that a Vietnam war vet comes back home mutilated from the war, missing his arms and legs, and his fiance feels so terrible for him that she enlists the help of a scientist who is trying experimental surgery where he grafts body parts onto amputees.  I think that's kind of goulish, personally, but I guess her heart is in the right place.  Unfortunately for this couple, the scientist's assistant falls for the woman so he sabotages the surgery and Blackenstein is born.  He goes around killing people and other asntisocial things until he can be stopped.

The movie has a tinge of sadness, as all movies involving Vietnam seem to, and it's also sad how this woman really loved her fiance and was only trying to help him, and it all went so horribly wrong for them.  Don't get me wrong, this isn't a cinematic masterpiece or anything, but it's a fun little take on the Frankenstein story.

No comments:

Post a Comment