Tuesday, October 16, 2012

And Soon the Darkness (1970)


At first, I didn't really like this movie. I'd seen the remake the day before, and the remake had Odette Yustman and Amber Heard in it, and I love them, so it had that going for it. Plus honestly, the women in the remake are SO much smarter than the women in the original. I mean, I thought the women in the remake made some boneheaded moves, but good LORD the women in the original are a couple of dipwits who put all other dipwits to shame. All that stuck in my craw and had me giving this movie the stinkeye at first, but once the action gets going, the action doesn't stop, and for that reason, I really ended up liking this movie. I also thought the original kept the twist ending a better secret than the remake. I mean, I still guessed what was going on, but I didn't do in in five seconds like I did with the remake, because in the original the filmmakers actually made a halfway decent stab at throwing in some believable red herrings. The conclusion almost felt like an Agatha Christie mystery to me (and I mean that as a compliment...that broad really knew how to ratchet up the tension in her plots!) So this movie isn't perfect, and it takes some time to get going, and you're going to want to jump into the movie and kill these girls yourself, but if you stick it out, it's worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment