Monday, June 11, 2012

Cowboys and Aliens (2011)



I really wanted to see this in theaters, but now that I've seen it, I'm glad I waited for DVD. It wasn't bad by any means, it just wasn't as great as I thought it would be. At one point I even almost turned it off because it threw in a ridiculous plot twist that irritated me, but I got over it, and by the end I really liked it. It always kept me on my toes, that's for sure. at first it introduces a bunch of characters who look like main character material, so I think nothing bad will happen to them, then about 20 minutes in or so, the movie knocks me on my ass and goes in a completely different direction. I appreciated that. I also like how it treated the material as though this is stuff that's really happening to people of the Old West who didn't have TV or newspapers or books or Ask.com they could turn to when weird stuff started happening to them, so they had to figure out what was going on in a way that seemed believable to me. It's a little too trite at times and the very ending is clumsy and some of the plot holes STRETCH my suspension of disbelief (without giving anything away, the Apache people who are ready to kill the cowboys because they think the cowboys brought the alien destruction on their land - except they don't know it's aliens, so they think it's demons or a curse or something - are a little too eager to drop all that and work WITH the cowboys after something really weird and hokey happens) but all that aside, this movie was fun and I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment